Muzaffargarh is an important historical city of Pakistan. In the late 16th century a settlment known as Khokha Chowk emerged, a Chowk means Market and also a place where paths or roads intersect.
The importance of Khokha Chowk resulted in surrounding areas becoming settled. By the early 17th century, it had become a small town. It had been known by various names but finally became known as Muzaffargarh, after Muzaffar Khan of Multan. Muzaffar had shifted his headquarters from Khangarh to Muzaffargarh between 1764-96.
By 1864 Muzaffargarh had become a city and the headquarters of Muzaffargarh District. The economy of the city and district had evolved from nothing to the country level. The economic growth the area led to the building of Roads, High Schools, Colleges, District Hospital, and also industrial areas of the city Muzaffargarh is a district in the south of the Punjab province of Pakistan.It is spread over an area of 8435 sqare Km. It forms a strip between the river Chanab on its east and Indus river on its West. It is one of oldest districts of Punjab.It comprises of fallowing four tehsils.
District Muzaffargarh lies in the form of strip between the river Chenab and Indus, which passes along the Eastern and Western boundaries respectively of the district and form a triangle at Alipur tehsil of the district. The district is bounded on the North by newly created district Layyah, on the South by Bahawalpur and Rahimyar Khan districts across the river Chenab. Districts Multan and Khanewal are on the Eastern side of district Muzaffargarh, across the river Chenab. District Jhang also touches on North-East. While Dera Gahzi Khan and Rajanpur districts lie on the Western side across the river Indus. District Muzaffargarh is spread over an area of 8,249 square kilometers comprising of following four thesils: -
3. Kot Adu